HOW TO CLEAN YOUR HARDWOOD FLOOR
- Vacuum, sweep or dust mop your hardwood floor once a week, or more, if needed. The vacuum head must be brush or felt.
- Use recommended Bruce hardwood floor cleaners.
- Get more hardwood cleaning tips and watch a hardwood floor cleaning video on ArmstrongFlooring.com.
HOW TO MAINTAIN THE BEAUTY OF YOUR HARDWOOD FLOOR
- Wipe up spills immediately.
- Use interior and exterior doormats at entrances to collect dirt and moisture and prevent them from being tracked onto the floor.
- Area rugs are recommended in front of kitchen sinks, at all pivot points, and within high traffic areas. The rugs must be made of a breathable material to prevent moisture entrapment.
- Place runners and area rugs (with slip-resistant backings) along high traffic areas.
- Keep animal nails trimmed to prevent finish scratches.
- To prevent surface damage, avoid rolling heavy appliances and furniture on the floor. Use plywood hardboard or appliance lifts, if necessary.
- Use Armstrong® Residential Floor Protectors under all furniture legs.
- Replace hard, narrow furniture rollers with wide rubber rollers.
- Keep the relative humidity in your home between 35% and 55%.
- Protect your floor from direct sunlight.
- Use any of the following products (or products similar in nature) to clean your hardwood floor: ammonia-based cleaners, acrylic finishes, wax-based products, detergents, bleach, polishes and oil soaps, abrasive cleaning soaps, or acidic materials such as vinegar.
- Allow water to stand on your floor for any length of time – wipe up immediately.
- Walk across your floor in poorly maintained shoes with heel taps, spike heels or with any sharp object protruding from your shoe.
- Allow furniture to rest on the floor on small metal tips or hard domes.
- Use rubber, foam back, or plastic mats as they may trap moisture and possibly discolor your floor.
- Use vacuums with beater bars or hard heads while cleaning wood floors.
HARDWOOD QUICK FIXES
Spills and Tracked-in Dirt
- Clean immediately.
- Apply Armstrong® Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner®* or Bruce® Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner* lightly to the surface and
wipe with a sponge mop or a soft cloth.
*DO NOT use on Bruce Dura-Satin Wax finish floors.
- Excess cleaner that does not evaporate immediately should be dried with a clean towel. No rinsing is necessary.
Everyday Household Mishaps:
Spots Caused by Food, Water, Animals, Grease, Crayon, Ink Spots, Rubber Heel Marks
- Apply Armstrong Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner or Bruce Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner to a clean soft cloth.
- Rub the area to remove the stain or spot.
- More stubborn spots may require additional cleaning with mineral spirits, followed by cleaning with Armstrong Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner or Bruce Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner.
Chewing Gum and Candle Wax
- Apply a sealed plastic bag filled with ice on top of the deposit.
- Wait until deposit becomes brittle enough to crumble off.
- After deposit has been removed, clean entire area with Armstrong Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner or Bruce Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner.
- Use Armstrong® Touch-Up Kit or Bruce® Touch-Up Kit in smaller areas.
- Apply Armstrong® Restore Hardwood Floor Finish, or Bruce® Fresh Finish™, or Bruce Fresh Finish™ Low Gloss when larger areas are reconditioned.
- Individual planks, strips, or parquets that are heavily gouged or damaged can be replaced by a professional flooring installer.
- If needed, the entire floor can be refurbished by applying one or more coats of Armstrong Restore Hardwood Floor Finish or Bruce Fresh Finish or Bruce Fresh Finish Low Gloss.
Expansion Cracks and Squeaks
Hardwood floor dimensions will be slightly affected by varying levels of humidity within your home, so it’s important to control humidity levels within the 35-55% range.
To protect your investment, follow these recommendations.
- A humidifier is recommended to prevent excessive shrinkage in hardwood floors due to low-humidity levels.
- Wood stoves and electric heat tend to create very dry conditions.
Humid (or Wet) Season
- Proper humidity levels can be maintained by using an air conditioner, dehumidifier, or by turning on your heating system periodically during the summer months.
- Avoid excessive exposure to water from tracking during periods of inclement weather.
- DO NOT obstruct in any way the expansion space around the perimeter of your floor.